Thursday 28 September 2017

Year 3: Minor/Major Project- Initial Idea and Concept

For this project I want to explore character design in much more detail then I did in Year 2, hopefully this would expand to animation reel/ animated short of the characters, fully textured and rigged. So my idea for the project was to take examples of people my family and friends feared in their childhoods, a sort of Bogeyman in a way, and make characters depicting them as monsters humanoids that play on those fears. This started by my mum telling me that the thing that scared her the most as a child was her neighbour who was nicknamed as Mr. Plimsole, who would stalk up and down the street and was the source of many of my mums nightmares as a kid.

For the animated short I would like to do a short in the vein of the introduction to Halloween Town in The Nightmare Before Christmas by Tim Burton and the animated short Swing You Sinners by the Fleischer Brothers. 
Using my mum's example of her own childhood bogeyman, Mr. Plimsole based on how she played "Knock Down Ginger" with her brothers. I'd like to do a surrealist piece of Mr. Plimsole introducing the concept of "childhood bogeyman" through something like a song or voice over with a monologue or poem. There would be the two main characters, Mr.Plimpsole and my Mother as a child.
Another idea was to solely take a series of influences from members of my family and friends and create a bunch of caricatures of their childhood fears, and produce an animation reel showing performing different movements and actions.

No comments:

Post a Comment